Monday, August 16, 2004

The Friendly Horn

Let me start with a story ... So my sister and myself are in Venice sitting behind a pickup truck who's driver is oblivious to the fact that the light is green. I (being more courteous than most drivers) give it a solid 5 seconds to see if he will notice. I take a glance at the arm hanging out of the truck and it's COVERED in tattoos ... interesting ... I look at my sister and slowly put my hand over the center of my steering wheel to honk. I SLIGHTLY tap it (just to let him know that the light is green). He doesn't hear ... Must have his music blaring. So I apply a bit more pressure. The driver immediately proceeds to flip me off and turn around. I in turn initiate my "defense mechanism". For most men it would probably be along the lines of firing their finger right back and pointing to the green light above while screaming a few obscenities. I on the other hand proceeded to activate a "blank/confused/I Didn't do it" look on my face and signal that it came from the person behind me.

So my point essentially is that there is no polite way to honk. I'm thinking there should be some sort of device that plays a very non-threatening song like GREEN Sleeves or something else that would grab the driver's attention without sparking instant conflict. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!!!

jmkarc said...

Remember the time, first year, you, Chris, and I went on our first excursion in Pomona, the search for the mystical Super K-Mart (the one on DB blvd, the one you can't miss and yet all three of us did) On the way back at the light at DB blvd and Temple I honked at the vehicle in front of me as a friendly reminder that green means go. The motorist in front of me proceeded into the intersection, abruptly stopped, exiting the vehicle and began to thoroughly rain profanities upon us. I think I calmly replied, "the light was green..." as my Jeep's brush guard is about a millimeter away from the back of his vehicle. His women passenger gets out and walks back and looks in between the vehicles and then looks at me...so I get even closer. They return to their vehicle (obviously afraid of us three very very dangerous looking thugs) and speed of displaying their gratitude with the middle finger.